Welcome to the Law Council
The Law Council is a body established by the Advocates Act Cap 267 as amended by the Advocates (Amendment) Act No. 27 of 2002, and is charged with the overall regulatory authority for the entire legal profession in Uganda.
Composition of the Law Council,
The mandate of Law Council is executed by the council members and two standing committees namely; The Disciplinary committees and the committee on legal education and training.
The membership of the law council is established under section ….. And is comprised as follows.
- a) A Chairperson who is a Judge of the courts of Judicature , appointed by the Attorney General after consultation with the Chief Justice,
- b) The Chairperson of the Committee on Legal Education and Training,
- c) The Solicitor General or his or her representative not below the rank of Principal state Attorney,
- d) The President of the Uganda Law Society,
- e) The Director of the Law Development Centre,
- f) The Dean of the Faculty of Law of Makerere University,
- g) Two practicing advocates representing the Uganda Law Society,
- h) A Judicial officer not below the rank of a Chief Magistrate representing magistrates, and
- i) A person co-opted by the Law Council.