About Uganda Law Council
To ensure constitutionalism, rule of law and due process are achieved, the Department of Law Council was setup with the following objectives;-
- 1.1 THE DEPARTMENT OF LAW COUNCIL The mandate of the department is “to act as the overall Regulatory Authority for the entire Legal Professional and Legal Aid service providers in Uganda”.
- 1.2 The Department of Law Council shall Conduct pre-entry examinations by August of each year.
- 1.3 Inspect Law Chambers and Issue a Certificate of Approval of Chamber (CAC) for chambers that conform to the required standards set by the Advocates (Inspection of Chambers) Regulations, 2005 within five (5) days after inspection.
- 1.4 Inspect Universities Offering Law Degree Programmes by Receive applications for accreditation of Universities or Institutions seeking to offer law degrees, check for compliance and forward to the Committee on Legal Education and Training for consideration within a period of 5 days.
- 1.5 Consideration of Foreign Legal Qualifications. The Department will Receive applications for accreditation of foreign legal qualifications and check for their compliance within a period of 5 days and Inform the applicant of the Committee’s decision within 10 working days from the date of the decision..
1.6 Continuing Legal Education..
- (a) Receive reports on continuing legal education from the service providers and present them for consideration to the Committee within 5 days from the date of receipt;
- (b) Inform the training service providers of the decision of the Committee within 7 days
- (c) Issue a Notice of Compliance with Continuing Legal Education to eligible advocates within 5 days after approval of reports by the Committee.